Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Namaste, India

Krista, my boss, flew in from the States to meet me in Delhi Monday morning for a day I had stuffed full of meetings.  We got tangled in visitor passes, security screens, passport checks and electronics drops at the US Embassy/USAID, Unicef, National Neonatology Forum, and PATH.  Had great conversations everywhere we went, especially with Unicef.  One contact told me, "You've been busy; everyone I talk to says they've met you."  Good, the goal was to drum up some interest!

After presenting my survey findings to Unicef, they basically confirmed they are changing the country-wide specifications for phototherapy to include LED-based (which our device is).  NNF confirmed they are modifying their recs, as well.  Without this change in specs, only private hospitals could have purchased our device.  Now, with Unicef and the NNF's buy-in, we are guaranteed to sell in the public market, which is where the greatest need is.  And, with Unicef purchasing thousands of devices a year, and now fully aware our device will be effective, low-cost, and on the market by November, we are GOLDEN.

Such a great way to end my journey here.  Came into a new market and country knowing nothing about their system, with no contacts, and was able to lobby to modify the country's equipment recommendations to offer better treatment for babies.  No better way to wrap up my experience .... I feel GOOD!

Even better since I'm sitting pretty in the biz class lounge in Brussels after I was able to upgrade my flight home with American Air miles.  In my rickshaw ride to the airport, surrounded by suitcases, honking, rotten odors, and people milling about on the streets, I almost - almost - felt sad.  Despite the stained hotel rooms, insane travel schedule, depressing hospital conditions, aggressive queues, public urination, omnipresent mounds of trash, and stagnant rivers ... it was an experience.  What a long trip it's been.

But I miss ice, salad, quiet streets, sidewalks, fruit, Booth, sports, public toilets, mexican food, communicating with strangers, the fam,  grocery stores, shorts, warm showers, trash cans, and comfort (in no particular order).  It's been a trip, but I'm ready to come home. 

See you soon.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment